Proper Cleaning Methods for your MHP
Just as with your own hair, a wig requires daily maintenance, but by following these simple tips, you should be able to wear a natural-looking wig with only a minor impact on your daily routine. Be sure to purchase a canvas wig form that matches the measurement of your wig from your wigmaker. This will ensure that your wig continues to fit well over time.
In order to keep a wig looking natural for a long time, it is important to keep it clean and clean it properly. Would you wash a suit in a laundry machine or would your have it dry cleaned? The same logic applies to cleaning a wig. It is a delicate garment that needs to be treated like one, and if cared for properly it will continue to look good for a long time.
The following instructions are solely for 100% HUMAN HAIR
- Using a rinse sprayer like you might have in your shower or at your kitchen sink, rinse the hair from about an inch away from the knot in the direction of the hair toward the ends and in the same direction the hair falls. Do this with cold water and avoid getting the foundation of the wig or the knots wet. Human hair is porous, so it expands when it gets wet, which causes the knots to unravel and the hair to fall out more quickly.
- Pin the wig to a canvas wig form using corsage pins. If the wig has a lace foundation, pin the material every 1/2” all the way around the base so that it will keep its shape while drying. Take 1/2” thick sections about 3” wide between your fingers, and apply shampoo to the hair, working from 1” above the knot and work the shampoo towards the ends of the hair. Do this until all the hair is shampooed. Only use a shampoo designed for color-treated hair, and dilute it with water.
- Let the shampoo sit for no more than 60 seconds, and repeat the rinse process, being careful to rinse all of the shampoo out.
- Once all the shampoo is rinsed out, blot the excess water away from the hair with a towel.
- Lightly wipe the inside of the base of the wig with a terrycloth towel, and then again with a sponge or cloth soaked in 99% alcohol. The alcohol will draw out any excess water or shampoo that has reached the knots, allowing them to dry quickly.
- Put the wig on your head while it is still wet, making sure that the hairline is the width of four fingers from the top of your eyebrows and that the temples are approximately three fingers’ width from the corner of your eyes. Then, slowly comb through the hair, starting at the ends and working toward the roots. Comb and style it as you normally would. These steps
will insure your wig will come out as you desire, without any surprises.
- In order to preserve the color of your wig, it is recommended not to shampoo your hair more than once a month.
The following instructions are solely for SYNTHETIC HAIR
The cleaning process for a wig with synthetic hair is much simpler. Synthetic hair doesn’t absorb water, therefore you will not need to take any precautions to keep the base or knots from getting wet.
Remember to never use warm water with a synthetic wig that has a wavy or curly hair. The warm water will cause the hair to lose the curl.
- Before shampooing, gently brush through the hair using a wet brush, remembering to always start brushing from the ends and working up towards the root area
- Dip the wig into a bowl of cold water mixed with a teaspoon of shampoo designed for color-treated hair. If you use a lot of hairspray, add in a teaspoon of ammonia to the shampoo to remove any buildup.
- Allow piece to sit in shampoo for 60 seconds, and then rinse with cool water.
- Once rinsed, the wig should be towel blotted to remove any excess water.
- With a spray bottle filled with the 99% alcohol, spray the entire inside of the wig. It should be saturated with the alcohol.
- To comb the hair, it is important to use a wide toothed comb and gently begin combing at the ends of the wig and work up towards the roots until all the hair is completely combed through. Style as needed.
- We recommend that you apply 99% alcohol into the foundation of your wig weekly, to maintain a clean, bacteria free environment in your hair system
- In order to prevent hair loss it is recommended to purchase KNOT SEALER. It is applied in 3 separate applications. Apply the first coat of knot sealer onto the roots of the wig, let dry, repeat two more times.
- Once dried, the wig can then be placed back on the scalp (Note: Make sure to use knot sealer in a well ventilated area)